20 April 2010

The 36 Chambers of Shaolin

Ah, the infamous "36 Chambers" that the Wu-Tang Clan named their most famous album after. After watching this movie recently, I could see why such a quintessential hip-hop group would name their album after it. I was extremely entertained. Hooked and totally engrossed after the first 15 minutes. I've been a huge Jet Li fan (amongst other various martial arts heroes that I am too embarrassed to mention) since the mid-'90s but somehow this film managed to pass me by. The 36 Chambers of Shaolin (1978), directed by the Shaw brothers, is more than your average martial arts flick. It starts off as the typical avenge-my-school-and-stop-the-political-takeover martial arts movie, but dabbles in teaching you about perseverance and self-actualization (Maslow's hierarchy, anyone?). It's definitely one of those old school classics that you can enjoy at any age. I have since added it as one of my favorite movies. If you haven't seen it, go rent it. Better yet, get it on Blu-ray. The picture quality's pretty impressive.

2 comments:

  1. AKA Master Killer.

    "but dabbles in teaching you about perseverance and self-actualization"

    Which is the hallmark of any worthy martial arts flick. Also watch 'Martial Club' directed by Liu Chia-Hui and his portrayal of the young Wong Fei Hung. Even the Wu Tang slept on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, i'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete